Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Baby Walk

Wow, that one got posted and I may just be getting the hang of this thing.
Some of you who knows me may be wondering, why did I have 'student' listed under my profile. No, it was never my intent to throw anyone a curve ball. I am a student. I just enrolled at UKM and I will soon be getting my student ID. Thats a mind blower really, me? at this age? a student? Some of my real life friends may even be wondering, why would someone like me (someone who has made a career out of conducting courses and giving seminars and at my age) wants to enrol as a student. Maybe its a statement I am trying to make. A message for all the 'young' people out there, that studying knows NO age limit and that gathering knowledge is a life-long experience.
Recently, we had a meeting of all the students that is being supervised by my Supervisor. I was easily, the most 'matured' in the group. They were very kind though and made comments about learning from me etc. To be totally honest, I was totally lost. I can't even begin to understand the research papers that they are researching. I initially thought that given my experience and knowledge,that doing my PhD would be a breeze. What more with the experiences that I had accummulated in preparing proposals, writing reports and doing presentations, but if this meeting is any indication, doing my PhD will be anything BUT a breeze.
Wow, my first baby walk, as a student. Again! Somehow at this age, going back to school and becoming a student again seems awkward. I keep telling myself, for goodness sake, I had given lectures at UKM before but somehow, this time around, coming in through those gates as a student, I somehow feel different. I feel excited and scared at the same time. Maybe its a feeling of apprehension. Its that unknown frontier, I guess driving in as a speaker or lecturer gives one a different aura, a sense of control. A different feeling altogether as compared to coming in as a student. Somehow, even with the secured knowledge that my PhD thesis is on a subject I am supposed to be an expert in (Entrepreneurship) does not help. I can feel my heart palpitating. It feels like I am going on my very first date and I am planning to touch her hand for the very first time. Is this perspiration on my forehead?
wish me luck guys!

5 comments:

vic said...

Allooooo .. its been a long time. And a pleasant surprise to see you blogging.

Looking forward to entertaining and enlightening reads from one of the smoothest guys around. (bukan dari segi kulit licin ah!)

hnrh aka vic

ME said...

walau wong is going back to school yeah yeah

saat omar said...

go wong go!!!...English power giler.
oh buat PHD sekarang patut ah busy je smapai nak pi lepak2 pun dah tak sempat...

Liz Amin said...

Most matured or most "oldest" student in class??? Hahahhahah!! Congratulations love, I am ever so proud of you!!

Liz Amin said...

Sorry that this message came in later (lotssssssssssss) than it should!!! But you know me, half the time I am not on this earth!!! Hahahahah!!